As a result of the 2020 pandemic and the rise in remote work positions, residents spend more time inside their homes than ever before. This transition has brought the request for unique amenities to create a convenient living environment.
And the top request? — Package solutions.
To solve the bottleneck of property managers waist-high in boxes and anxiously awaiting residents, the debate between two common solutions comes to light…
Which works better: a package locker or a package room?
While both have their merits, it's essential to delve deep into their pros and cons, especially when considering what is right for your property.
Navigate this article:
- What is an apartment package locker?
- What is an apartment package room?
- What is the best package solution for multifamily communities?
What is an Apartment Package Locker?
An apartment package locker is a secure storage solution often found in a communal area in multifamily residential buildings or complexes.
Instead of couriers dropping packages off at the front office of residential communities, they place them in a unique locker cubby. Residents then typically receive a notification on their mobile device that their package has arrived and can retrieve using a unique code or smart key.
Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons for multifamily communities:
The disadvantages of package locker:
- Space Constraints: Lockers need considerable space, especially in large communities where numerous packages arrive daily. Otherwise, lockers quickly hit full capacity, and new packages end up back in the front office.
- Limited Size: Larger packages might not fit, requiring alternative delivery solutions.
- Maintenance: Over time, lockers may need repairs, which can be costly.
- Cost: Initial installation of an apartment package locker system can be expensive, especially for luxury options.
The advantages of a package locker:
- Security: Each package has its compartment, reducing theft risk.
- 24/7 Accessibility: Residents can collect packages anytime, without relying on office hours.
What is an Apartment Package Room?
An apartment package room is a dedicated space within a building where deliveries are stored until residents can retrieve them. Enhanced by smart technology solutions like LittleBird, it can become a highly efficient and secure system.
Just like above, let’s look at the pros and cons for multifamily communities:
The disadvantages of a package room:
- Designated Space Requirement: Package rooms require a large room to accommodate all residents.
- Possible Congestion: During high delivery times, the room might become congested, leading to confusion.
The advantages of a package room:
- Versatility: Package rooms can accommodate packages of all sizes, from small parcels to larger items like furniture.
- Enhanced Security with LittleBird: Incorporating LittleBird's access control system ensures that only authorized personnel and residents can access the room, significantly reducing theft.
- Smart Notifications: With resident engagement features from LittleBird, residents get timely notifications about their package arrivals, increasing convenience.
- Expandable: Package rooms can be expanded or reconfigured based on evolving needs without the need for significant infrastructural changes.
Which is the best package solution for multifamily communities?
Considering the disadvantages and advantages of both systems, the apartment package room emerges as a more flexible and holistic solution for multifamily communities.
For property managers, an apartment package room integrated with LittleBird's solutions can offer not just a space for package delivery, but a comprehensive system. A system that enhances resident satisfaction by granting peace of mind, and can even become a selling point for potential tenants.
The debate between apartment package lockers and apartment package rooms is a valid one.
While lockers might be suitable for smaller communities or those with limited delivery traffic, the versatility, security enhancements, and scalability of the apartment package room make it the more favorable option.
With LittleBird's integration, the decision becomes even more straightforward. Developers, investors, and property managers should consider the long-term benefits and the superior resident experience provided by a well-managed apartment package room.