Since the pandemic hit, working from home and spending more time at home has become the new norm for many of us.
And let's be real, it's made us realize just how crucial it is to have all our home processes seamlessly integrated and automated. I mean, who wants to deal with unnecessary hassles when we can have everything running smoothly and effortlessly?
It's clear that we need a seamless system that takes care of all our home needs without breaking a sweat.
Thankfully, one of life’s most attainable luxuries is having your home systems automated with smart devices. There are many different systems that allow you to transform your apartment into an innovative and efficient smart home.
Navigate this article
- What is smart home automation
- Advantages of having a smart home
- How to transform your apartment into a smart home
What is Smart Home Automation
Smart home automation refers to devices that will monitor or control systems and features in your home—like light switches, thermostats, outlets, and even self-monitored security.
The smart devices are typically controlled via an app on your personal mobile device. You can adjust settings and preferences, or monitor progress and alerts from anywhere with your personal device.
Advantages of Having a Smart Home
So, picture this: you transform your regular old apartment into a super cool smart home.
And let me tell you, it's not just about impressing your friends (although that's a nice bonus).
There are actually a bunch of benefits that come with having a smart apartment.
Here are just a few perks you can enjoy:
- Convenience: Having the ability to control and monitor your home systems from your mobile device is a convenient alternative to manually operating each device. For instance, instead of spending time turning off every light that has been forgotten, with the click of a button, you can turn off all the lights from your phone.
- Safety: You can have an increased sense of security by using a smart security system or a smart doorbell. This gives you the ability to monitor your home by previewing visitors via your app before you grant access.
- Sustainability: Apartment communities that use smart home automation reduce energy consumption, promote the use of renewable energy sources, and minimize waste. For a resident, lower energy output can mean lower utility bills.
How to Transform Your Apartment into a Smart Home
Before you dive headfirst into the world of smart devices, it's good to know what options you have, right?
Here are a few starting points to get you going:
By updating your light switches to smart switches you now have the power to control your apartment lighting by a simple app on your phone or voice command assistants, like Alexa or GoogleHome.
With the various smart lights apps, you can also create routines and schedules for your lighting. This means that you can program your lights to automatically turn on at a certain time in the morning, and off at a certain time in the evenings.
As an added bonus, you can also turn off all of your lights remotely if you forgot a light on from your app even if you’re not home.
Arguably one of the most important and beneficial smart devices on the market is the smart locking device. Removing the necessity for a physical key, smart locks allow you to unlock or lock your apartment with a unique pin code or with your app.
You no longer have to worry about forgetting or losing keys with a smart locking system. Even after you’ve left home, you have added peace of mind knowing you can check the lock status remotely.
Upgrading your old thermostats that require manual adjustments for innovative smart thermostats will make your life much easier. In addition to having the ability to adjust the temperature from your phone, you can also create or update heating/cooling schedules remotely. You can adjust the temperature from the comfort of anywhere you choose.
Smart Home Sensors
Having smart home sensors can help you self-monitor your apartment while you are away. They provide additional protection against break-ins and theft by alerting you when doors or windows are opened or closed.
You can be proactive about monitoring your sensors by checking a recorded or live feed from your cameras and sensors in your app.
Interested in moving into a smart apartment?
Ask your property manager about LittleBird.
LittleBird is the only all-in-one solution for access control, smart home, and resident engagement. We work to make multifamily communities as convenient and efficient as possible with our technology that integrates smart devices and access control via one easy-to-use mobile app.
From your personal mobile device, you can monitor the performance or get alerts from your various smart devices. The seamless integration of your smart devices allows convenient control remotely.
Taking it to the next level, the LittleBird resident app utilizes smart access systems to eliminate the need for physical keys by using youl device as your access credentials.
- Smart devices can monitor or control systems or features in your home via a mobile app.
- There are many advantages to transforming your apartment into a smart home, like convenience, safety, and sustainability.
- Some smart home devices include smart lights, smart locks, smart thermostats, and smart home sensors.
- LittleBird offers a centralized app that allows you to control and monitor your smart home devices, as well as improve your overall resident experience.