As the summer season approaches, multifamily communities are eagerly seeking ways to enhance resident retention and foster a sense of belonging among their residents.
With the sun shining brightly and the days growing longer, this time of the year offers an ideal opportunity to organize a diverse range of exciting and captivating events that will leave residents feeling delighted, connected, and eager to remain part of the community.
In this blog post, we will delve into ten innovative and engaging resident retention activities specifically tailored for the summer season.
The Importance of Resident Engagement for Retention
Resident engagement is a critical component of resident retention.
When residents feel connected to their community and their neighbors, they are more likely to renew their leases and recommend the community to others.
Engaged residents are also more likely to participate in community events and activities, which can lead to a stronger sense of community and a more positive living experience.
How to Increase Resident Engagement
In order to increase resident engagement, multifamily communities need to focus on providing opportunities for residents to connect and engage with each other.
This might involve hosting events and activities that are tailored to the interests and needs of residents, providing amenities and services that promote community interaction, or offering incentives for residents to participate in community events and activities.
10 Resident Retention-Increasing Activities for Summer
Here are 10 resident retention-increasing activities that multifamily communities can plan for summer:
1. Summer Glow Pool Party
Celebrate the vibrant spirit of summer by hosting regular pool parties throughout the season. Complete with lively music, delicious food, and refreshing drinks, these pool parties will become the highlight of the summer.
For an even more captivating experience, consider organizing a night glow swim party. Transform the pool area into a mesmerizing scene with the help of LED lights, glowing sticks, and other illuminating decorations.
2. Outdoor Movie Nights
Transform your apartment community's outdoor space into a captivating open-air cinema by hosting regular outdoor movie nights.
How to Host a Resident Movie Night
- Set up a large outdoor screen and projector in a designated area, such as a courtyard or lawn, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Arrange seating options, including blankets or lawn chairs, to ensure residents can comfortably watch the movie.
- Enhance the ambiance with string lights or torches to add a touch of magic to the outdoor setting.
- To complete the movie night experience, provide complimentary popcorn and drinks for residents to enjoy during the film.
3. Pet-Friendly Events
Recognize the importance of residents' furry friends with pet-friendly amenities and events in your apartment community.
Here are a few ideas to cater to your furry residents:
- Woofstock: Organize a pet-friendly music festival where pets and their owners can come together to enjoy live music and delicious food. Incorporate pet-related vendors, pet contests, and activities that cater to both pets and their owners.
- Yappy Hour: Host a happy hour event exclusively for pets and their owners. Set up a designated area where pets can socialize, while their owners enjoy pet-friendly drinks and snacks. This event provides an opportunity for residents to bond over their shared love for their furry companions.
- Furry Fiesta: Celebrate different cultures and traditions with a pet-friendly event. Incorporate food, music, and dance performances that reflect various cultures. This not only promotes diversity but also creates a unique and engaging experience for residents and their pets.
- Bark in the Park: Plan a fun-filled outdoor event where pets and their owners can enjoy games, activities, and delicious food in a park setting. Include pet-friendly games, agility courses, and even pet-themed photo booths to capture special moments.
4. BBQs and Cookouts:
Embrace the spirit of summer and create a delightful atmosphere by hosting regular BBQs and cookouts in your apartment community.
These timeless and beloved events bring residents together to enjoy delicious food, socialize, and soak up the warm weather.
Here's how you can make these gatherings even more enjoyable:
- Choose a designated outdoor area, such as a patio, courtyard, or grill area, where residents can gather and mingle.
- Set up grills and provide all the necessary utensils and equipment for residents to showcase their grilling skills.
- Consider offering a variety of options, including hamburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, and a selection of sides and condiments to cater to different dietary preferences.
To make the experience even more memorable…
- Enhance the ambiance with outdoor seating, festive decorations, and some background music.
- Encourage residents to bring their favorite side dishes or desserts to contribute to the communal feast, creating a potluck-style event.
- Consider organizing themed BBQs or cookouts, such as a Hawaiian luau or a Tex-Mex fiesta, to add an extra element of excitement and variety. This allows residents to explore different cuisines and adds a fun twist to the traditional cookout experience.
5. Fitness Classes
Encourage a healthy and active lifestyle among your residents by offering fitness classes during the summer season. These classes provide a convenient and accessible way for residents to prioritize their well-being and engage in physical activity.
Consider the following options to cater to different interests and fitness levels:
- Outdoor Yoga or Pilates Classes: Take advantage of the warm weather and host outdoor yoga or Pilates classes in a designated area, such as a courtyard or green space. Provide yoga mats or suggest residents bring their own. This serene setting allows participants to connect with nature while improving flexibility, strength, and mindfulness.
- Partner with a Local Gym: Forge partners with local fitness centers or gyms to provide exclusive discounted memberships for your residents. This collaboration allows residents to access a wider range of fitness equipment, classes, and amenities while enjoying the convenience of their apartment community.
- Virtual Fitness Classes: In addition to in-person classes, consider offering virtual fitness classes that residents can participate in from the comfort of their own apartments. Partner with fitness instructors or utilize online platforms to provide a variety of workout options, such as cardio, strength training, dance, or HIIT (high-intensity interval training).
6. Summer Camps for Kids
Ensure an enjoyable and enriching summer for the young residents in your apartment community by offering engaging and educational summer camps.
These camps provide a structured and fun environment where children can learn, make friends, and create lasting memories.
Consider the following ideas to provide a diverse range of summer camp experiences:
- Partner with Local Organizations: Collaborate with local organizations, such as educational institutions, sports clubs, or art studios, to offer specialized summer camps. These organizations often have expertise in specific areas, such as STEM, arts and crafts, sports, or music. By partnering with them, you can provide a variety of camp options that cater to different interests and age groups.
- Theme-based Camps: Organize theme-based summer camps to create a captivating and immersive experience for the children. For example, you could offer a nature exploration camp, where kids engage in outdoor activities, learn about wildlife, and develop an appreciation for the environment. Alternatively, consider a performing arts camp, where children can participate in theater, dance, or music workshops.
- Inclusive and Educational Activities: Ensure that the summer camps incorporate a mix of educational and recreational activities. Offer opportunities for learning, creativity, and skill-building through workshops, guest speakers, hands-on experiments, and artistic projects. Balance this with recreational activities, field trips, and games that allow children to have fun and stay active.
7. Farmer's Markets
Bring the vibrant and fresh flavors of the local community to your apartment community by hosting regular farmer's markets during the summer season. These markets create a wonderful opportunity for residents to connect with local farmers, artisans, and businesses while enjoying the abundance of locally-grown produce and handcrafted goods.
8. Volunteer Opportunities
Inspire a sense of social responsibility and community engagement among your residents by organizing volunteer events throughout the summer. These events provide meaningful opportunities for residents to give back and make a positive impact on the local community.
9. Bob Ross Night
Hosting a Bob Ross painting night for residents can be a fun and creative event that allows participants to unleash their inner artists.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to host a successful Bob Ross painting night:
- Gather Art Supplies: Ensure you have all the necessary art supplies for the event. This includes easels, canvases or painting boards, paintbrushes, acrylic paints in various colors, palettes or paper plates for mixing paints, water cups, paper towels, and aprons or smocks to protect clothing.
- Select Bob Ross Tutorials: Choose a few Bob Ross painting tutorials that are suitable for beginners. You can find tutorial videos on platforms like YouTube or purchase Bob Ross instructional DVDs to play on a projector at the event.
- Celebrate and Display Artwork: Once participants have completed their paintings, encourage them to display their artwork in a designated area. Consider organizing a mini art exhibition or showcasing the paintings on a community bulletin board to celebrate residents' creativity.
10. Wine Tastings
Indulge your residents in a sophisticated and enjoyable experience by hosting wine tastings throughout the summer. Partnering with local wineries can elevate the event and provide residents with the opportunity to sample a variety of wines while expanding their knowledge of wine appreciation.
By prioritizing resident engagement and providing meaningful opportunities for connection, multifamily communities can create a thriving environment where residents feel valued, happy, and eager to remain part of the community. So, let the summer season be a time to create lasting memories as you implement these resident retention strategies and elevate the living experience for your residents.